Monday, January 10, 2011

JENGA: wi1

I am a graduate of High Point University, where I earned a bachelor’s degree in Home Furniture Marketing. Once I received my bachelors I decided that my education at HPU wasn’t enough. During the interim of searching for a continuing education institution, I acquired a job with a small firm that specializes in interior renovations of multi-family housing units. My title: “Marketing Director”, however, I wore many hats. My favorite was selecting the hardware, plumbing fixtures, counter tops and lighting for the units. I also worked for a furniture company where I became familiar with over 300 manufactures of residential and commercial furniture and accent pieces. In this position I worked close at hand with the owner of the store, designing the showroom. Overall, I enjoyed assisting customer in their furniture selection and space planning. It was then that I discovered that I wanted to do more than select furniture and fabric; I wanted to decide the shape and form of living spaces and decide the functionality of them.

At this point, it became apparent that UNCG was the perfect fit.

As an adult student I brought many strengths and weakness along with me. I believe that one of my major attributes, as a designer is my ability to be versatile. I am able to successfully complete a project from the client / professor’s specifications; without over implementing my own personal style preference. My classmates concurred as well as pointed out my professionalism.

Never the less I have much more room for growth. I am eager to be able to effectively communicate my ideas and designs using correct design terms. I am also anxious to find my niche in design.

In addition......

Following class on Friday, January 14, 2011 as well as a day and a half of fumbling with an assignment that included building a model, space planning, and writing a narrative. I’ve now reprioritized my goals. I need to establish my very own DESIGN PROCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment