Friday, February 19, 2010

2 vertical moments of light

Process:
Inspired by images of light by Tadao Ando and others artists;
I wanted to imitate the cross defined by piercing light with a twist of color.
After the research I began to sketch

Materials:
8 oz water bottles
Kool-aid
Cardboard
Hot glue
Velum
Box cutter

Thoughts:
How to unify surrounding windows
With the four windows in the immediate area, I proposed to the group to spell IARC
Critiqued by Doug and Vanessa, we set aside that idea
Feedback from the TA’s suggested that I should do further research on light and color
After doing so…my project evolved to:
Gluing 23 triangles from 14” stripes of cardboard
Then Stacked triangles in the window
Placing the kool-aid bottles in the center of the triangles in order that the light may reflect off the bottle
Following a critique by Stoel, I realized yet again that my design process was still not over

Final:
Discovering that the triangles stacked in the windows didn’t actually create an effect; the light simply passed through. So I began to cut cardboard to cover the negative space created by the triangles.
I didn’t accomplish what I needed using that method; however I still needed to control the light more and darken the negative space to create Moments of light. I removed all the triangles from the window and then laid them on a single piece of cardboard (at the exact dimensions of the window). I lightly traced the triangles, and then removed them from the single sheet of cardboard. I was able to see the negative space and cut out where I needed. I went a little further and kept some triangles solid to create yet more interest. Then white velum is placed behind 4 triangles to follow a water fall motion the window above has created to achieve the unity between the two.

So out went the bottles and in came triangles and moments within each triangle busting with light and a softer, muted light with the velum.








No comments:

Post a Comment