Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wi 8 - analysis of individual process

whole > sum of its parts


At the close of each “Jenga” I always experience a sense of relief along with a bit of regret. The relief is the end of the long nights and the 24 hour shifts; my regrets usually are not being able to give just a little more. My very first overnighter in 2nd year was on Jenga 1.0. There were a number of deliverables and I entered production mode oblivious! It’s not that the assignment wasn’t communicated and written well, it was simply that I developed tunnel vision long ago, ultimately closing my mind to other avenues of thinking and doing. A professor had warned me about this previously, he said, “Your symmetrical thinking is raping you of your creativity”. Building on each “Jenga” has given me peripheral vision. I approached Jenga 1.0 with a preconceived agenda. I wanted to design a space that was sensible and functional = BORING, as Claire would express it. I had not yet been commissioned to design in such an abstract manner. Which ultimately meant that I needed to deviate from the safe route to a journey of exploration and development. Jenga 2.0 was like an epiphany; conceptual thinking began to penetrate my brainwaves. I was very gracious to have another opportunity to implement this method of thinking I embarked upon. As always, I just needed a little more time to expound on the design.
Along with the challenge of conceptual thinking, also came the inevitable; the need to revise my design process, which alone had not completely matured. Jenga 3.0 would be the next OPPORTUNITY to hone in on both. Another dynamic was added to the equation of the assignment, two partners. Each partner possessed a unique set of design skills, talents, and method of thinking and doing. Merging the three personalities, considering all the concept words, incorporating all theoretical findings from readings and stacking the three buildings to form a cohesive design, this was a mission that seemed virtually impossible. Initially, we began with diagrams and narratives to help shape the building’s interior characteristics, spatial relationships, intersections, activities along path and navigation. This step in the design process was imperative to the very heart and soul of the space; it set the tone for the emotional experience of the guests. We were careful to remain cognizant of the previously mentioned strategy with the placement of each wall, corner, or edge positioned inside. Moving forward in the design process, we began to protrude those walls into a digital 3D model, while also fine tuning details of the public and private spaces. Things changes constantly as we began to transfer those 2D diagrams into 3D spaces. In addressing all these obstacles it became the perfect opportunity for each team member to show their best work. I certainly didn’t allow that moment to pass me by, after all, my discoveries on Jenga 1.0 was not made to be idle. We continued to make progress, allowing each member’s design voice to be evident wherever appropriate. Following completion of the assignment, we all felt that there were some communication issues, however, overall, we were delighted with the space we designed.
Patrick and Claire give second chances, proven fact with Jenga 4.0. Although, some of the deliverables were shaken up, the integrity of the teams from Jenga 3.0 remained. We all felt like we needed just a little more time needed to convey our design. We wanted also wanted to overcome some of our time management and communication obstacles. At the end of this assignment we believed that we successfully achieved our goals and that our obstacles were now to a minimum.
There’s no slowing down now, our teams once again remained intact, however; all teams bided on an additional team of three. We gathered for a charette for an hour with one team, then another. Other teams did the same and thus the decisions would be made. Those teams with the best CHEMISTRY or RHYTHM would merge. Patrick and Claire released the results of the bidding process, combing the best fits. Ultimately this collaboration / (collision) required that an additional three voices be heard and show up in the end product. Jenga 5.0 started much like Jenga 3.0, when the design process began to become more prevalent to me. However, this time around, there are new considerations to expound upon. We thought about what would fit into our spaces and how they would look. As part of the design process we began programming. Team members were positioned again according to skill-sets, but were encouraged to venture into other areas, to expand and grow. Once responsibilities were divided we aggressively began working the façade of our building and exploring materials, furniture, and fixtures. I was able to be cross-trained in rendering in podium, what an awesome adventure!
I feel like I’ve almost found my way! I’m sure Patrick and Claire will continue to guide me.





Some day I’ll find my design voice and position in this great big world!

No comments:

Post a Comment