Friday, April 29, 2011

Wi10 (Reflection of semester)

Upon the start of each semester I usually enter my elected courses with a few personal goals in mind. Having received the syllabus, I read it and gained full comprehension of the learning objectives for each class. Then I began to establish a few goals of my own based on self-assessment. Naturally, the day I entered [IAR202-01] environmental design; I felt that there were several areas where improvements were imperative. Some of those areas were:

1. Being able to articulate ideas using design language in proper context
2. Institute a personal design process
3. Discovering my niche

Realizing that these improvements would further enhance my skill-set, I approached each opportunity with a certain level of attention to these items. I relied on the structure of the class to reveal much of these industry secrets to me and be an insightful resource. The assigned readings (Shaping Interior Space, Roberto Rengel) along with the book of our choosing (Architecture and the City, Aldo Rossi) satisfied a great amount of my 1st goal. I realized that the only path to gaining industry terminology and be well versed in any field of study is to submerge in reading. What’s noteworthy is that, I was not only assigned the reading, I was expected to divulge my findings in thought provoking essays and diagrams. Additionally, I was responsible for incorporating these new discoveries into project deliverables. Upon completion of each reading assignment this usually resulted into achieving my 2nd goal of instituting a personal design process. Rengel’s writings not only illustrated extraordinary design language, much of his subject matter integrated design process. Most of the assignments involved writing, diagramming, building a model and programming; which allowed, me to explore all of these in any order desired or simultaneously. I usually found that it was best for me to write about the experience of the space following, diagramming and building a 3D model. Once I experienced the space 3 dimensionally, envisioning the atmosphere and pathways / circulation was obvious, therefore, narrating became 2nd nature. I did realize however, that regardless of which order I start my process, they all are rough drafts and become edited from start to finish. I’ve learned as a designer that I must set deadlines on top of deadlines to move on to meet the clients’ deadline. The projects felt underdeveloped; there were often more improvements to be made following new discoveries. It became evident that each project required all of these elements at some point, but they could be achieved differently for each. Confirming my thoughts were guest speakers from Eames Furniture. Given the opportunity I asked, “How does one find their personalized design process”? They replied, “personal design process can be helpful but ultimately change is inevitable depending on the many variables of a project and the client”. As I start each assignment, my confidence increases in many areas, for instance, technical drawings, rendering and designing in a conceptual manner. Therefore, regarding my 3rd goal, I’ve sharpened many skills but my niche is still being decided.

I consider accomplishing these goals a reward of perusing higher education. I feel that I’ve gained invaluable lessons throughout this semester while completing the course work. Specifically, I’ve advanced from proficient in AutoCAD to a master due to producing a number of floor plans, elevations, and sections. I’ve also been introduced to Rhino, and have become proficient, following using it to bridge information to the laser cutter to build a number of models. Other lessons I’ve learned this semester can be attributed to my time spent in Materials, Methods, and Technologies, which made it a seamless transition when recording materials and finishes in schedules and specification documents. Having worked individually and with groups allotted for teammates to share best practices and strengths with me. Initially, I was intimated by rendering with Podium, until a couple of teammates who considered helping me, a pleasure. It was also through group work that I researched ADA issues, vertical and horizontal circulation, and egress requirements in interior spaces where structures became more complex.

There were many advantages to working in groups as there were disadvantages. As mentioned previously one advantage is that there are countless opportunities to explore other areas of design with a partner along side acting as a safety net. A disadvantage to this is with the time constraints and pressures of deadlines, responsibilities are generally delegated for efficiency. Thus, individuals are positioned in similar areas of design from one project to the next because of their proven ability to be most constructive and creative in particular areas. Working with each scale (3, 6, 12) inevitably there came different challenges and opportunities at each level. Opportunities for the group of 12:
1. cross training moments occurred more frequently
2. other members possessed higher degrees of proficiency
3. subgroups could coordinate times
Challenges for the group of 12:
1. coordinating times for all 12 members is difficult
2. some partners become complacent
My experience at each of these levels was that 1 factor remained a common thread; there must be complete order and organization to achieve success.

Reflecting upon the entire semester, I believe that I have enhanced my skill set in a number of areas. I’m looking forward to expanding upon them in the next semester of 3rd year.

No comments:

Post a Comment